- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 30g (1/2 cup) finely grated cheddar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 gourmet sausages
- 6 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half horizontally
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Tomato relish, to serve
Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
Place pastry sheets on a clean work surface. Brush with a little egg and sprinkle with the cheese, rosemary and paprika. Use a rolling pin to gently roll over the cheddar mixture to lightly press into pastry. Cut the pastry into 2.5cm thick strips. Transfer to prepared trays and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill.
Thread a thick bamboo or metal skewer through each sausage. Starting at the top of a sausage carefully coil 2 strips of the prosciutto around the sausage. Carefully coil 2-3 pastry strips around each sausage, pressing each strip together to seal. Place on prepared trays, seam side down, allowing a 4cm gap between each sausage. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Brush with maple syrup. Bake for a further 5-10 minutes or until golden and crisp.