- 1kg butternut pumpkin, peeled
- 2 bunches (12) spring onions
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (see note)
- Fresh thyme leaves, to serve
- You will need 6 metal skewers.
- 1Cut pumpkin into 3cm cubes. Place cubes on a heatproof, microwave-safe plate. Add 1 tablespoon cold water. Cover. Microwave on high (100%) for 4 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Set aside 10 minutes to cool.
- 2Trim onion bulbs, leaving 1cm of stalk. Thread pumpkin and onion alternately onto skewers. Place on a baking tray. Spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat a barbecue plate or chargrill on medium heat. Cook skewers, brushing with maple syrup and turning, for 12 minutes or until golden and sticky. Sprinkle with thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.