- 220g (1 cup) dried black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1.25L (5 cups) water
- 300g sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 1 large sweet corn cob, kernels removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 long fresh green chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 1Place black beans in a large saucepan. Cover with enough cold water to come 5cm above beans. Bring to the boil over mediumhigh heat. Cook for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion and celery, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, cumin, paprika and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- 3Place onion mixture, beans, tomato and water in a large (6L) slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low for 7 hours. Add sweet potato and corn. Cover. Cook for a further 1 hour or until potato is tender and soup is thick. Season.
- 4Combine coriander and green chilli in a bowl. Divide soup among bowls. Top with coriander mixture. Serve with lime.