- 4 eggwhites
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 3-4 drops pink food colouring
- 300ml pure (thin) cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 1 tablespoon rosewater (see Note)
- Dried edible rose petals (see Note), to scatter
- 1Preheat the oven to 100°C.
- 2Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper, then remove the baking paper and mark seven 7cm-diameter circles on the underside of each. Return the paper to the baking trays.
- 3Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, continually beating until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thick and glossy. Gently fold in the pink food colouring until combined.
- 4Form large spoonfuls of the meringue mixture on the baking paper, flattening each spoonful out with a small spatula or knife, using the circular outlines on the underside of the baking paper as guides. Place the baking trays in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until crisp, then leave to cool in the turned-off oven, keeping the door slightly ajar, for at least a further hour.
- 5Place the cream, icing sugar and rosewater in a large bowl and beat with electric beaters until soft peaks form.
- 6Serve the meringues with a dollop of rose-scented cream, sprinkled with rose petals and dusted with icing sugar.