- 4 x 440g packets golden butter cake mix (with icing sachet)
- 85g packet lime jelly crystals
- 4 large vanilla marshmallow puffs
- 5 blue lollipops
- 3 pink Lifesavers fruit tingles
- 3 green and white swirly lollipops
- 9 candy eyeball lollies (see notes)
- 1 white lollipop
- 10 milk bottle lollies
- 4cm piece strawberry sour strap
- 12cm piece licorice strap
- 500g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 3/4 cups icing sugar mixture (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Green and blue food colouring gel
- 25cm round serving plate, 'Grass' piping nozzle
- 1Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease an 8 cup-capacity metal pudding steamer and three 6.5cm-deep, 18cm round (base) springform cake pans. Line the base of the pudding steamer with baking paper. Line base and sides of round cake pans with baking paper.
- 2Reserve icing sachets from cake mixes. Prepare 3 cake mixes, following packet directions. Pour mixture evenly among prepared round pans. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cakes comes out clean. Stand cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto wire racks lined with baking paper. Repeat process with remaining cake mix and prepared pudding steamer. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Cool cakes completely.
- 3Make jelly following packet directions. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until jelly is set.
- 4Make Buttercream icing: Using an electric mixer, beat butter for 8 to 10 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add reserved icing sachets and icing sugar, beating until well combined (see Emma’s tips). Add milk. Beat until combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons to leave plain. Spoon ¼ of the remaining buttercream into a bowl. Tint green with food colouring gel. Tint remaining icing blue with food colouring gel.
- 5Trim peaks from 2 marshmallows. Discard. Press 1 blue lollipop through the centre of uncut side of marshmallow. Repeat with 1 remaining blue lollipop and cut marshmallow. Using a little plain buttercream, attach 1 fruit tingle to centre of each green lollipop. Hold to secure. Using the picture as a guide and a little plain buttercream, attach candy eyeballs to fruit tingles, and white and blue lollipops to form eyes. Hold to secure.
- 6Using a serrated knife, level tops of 18cm cakes, if necessary. Cut a 9cm round from centre of two 18cm cakes. Discard centres. Place whole cake on a serving plate. Spread top with a little green buttercream. Top with 1 cut cake. Spread top with a little green buttercream. Top with remaining cut cake. Spread top with a little green buttercream. Using a spoon, break jelly up into small pieces. Spoon into centre of cake. Trim base of pudding-shaped cake to sit flat. Place pudding-shaped cake, cut-side down, on top of cake. Cover cake with a thin layer of blue icing. Spoon remaining blue icing into a piping bag fitted with a ‘grass’ nozzle. Pipe long strands of icing all over cake to form hair. Spoon remaining green icing into a clean piping bag fitted with a ‘grass’ nozzle. Pipe long strands of icing onto cake to form small patches of hair.
- 7Trim milk bottles to form teeth. Trim sour strap to form a tongue. Cut 8cm from licorice strap. Position 8cm piece on cake to form top row of mouth. Position 4cm piece on cake to form bottom row of mouth. Using a little plain buttercream, attach teeth and tongue to mouth. Insert marshmallow eyes into cake. Insert lollipop eyes into cake. Press remaining marshmallows onto sides of monster to form ears. Serve immediately or refrigerate until required.