- Light olive oil spray
- 4 eggs, separated
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice, extra
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- Fresh mixed berries, to serve
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 1Preheat oven to 120°C. Lightly spray a 24cm (base measurement) pie dish with oil and line with non-stick baking paper.
- 2Use an electric beater to beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Add 215g (1 cup) of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in the lemon juice. Transfer to the dish, spooning the mixture 4cm up the side to form a shell. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until crisp. Turn off oven. Leave in oven, with the door ajar, to cool completely.
- 3Meanwhile, combine egg yolks, remaining sugar and extra lemon juice in a saucepan over low heat. Use a balloon whisk to whisk until mixture thickens. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool slightly. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to cool.
- 4Use an electric beater to beat cream in a bowl until firm peaks form. Use a clean electric beater to beat the lemon mixture until smooth. Gently fold into cream. Spoon into meringue shell. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill. Top with berries. Dust with icing sugar.