- 250g dried macaroni
- 40g butter, chopped
- 200g shaved lean leg ham, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 2 medium sebago potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Grease four 2 cup-capacity freezer-proof, ovenproof baking dishes. Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain.
- 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ham and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until ham is heated through. Add flour and mustard. Stir until mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat.
- 3Gradually stir in milk. Return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Add cheddar. Stir until cheese melts. Add pasta. Season with pepper. Toss to combine. Spoon into prepared dishes (if freezing, see note).
- 4Combine parmesan and potato in a small bowl. Sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve sprinkled with chives.