- 1 1/3 cups light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine (or sherry)
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3kg chicken pieces on the bone (see note)
- 1Combine soy sauces, sugar, star anise, cinnamon, rice wine, ginger and garlic in a large ceramic bowl. Add chicken. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking dish with baking paper. Place chicken in a single layer in dish. Cook, basting often, for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve.