- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs, lightly whisked
- 150g butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (130g) chopped strawberries
- Strawberries, halved or quartered, extra, to decorate
- 75g strawberries, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) icing sugar mixture
- 10cm x 22cm (base measurement) loaf pan
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 10cm x 22cm (base measurement) loaf pan with baking paper, allowing the 2 long sides to overhang.
Place the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk the banana, egg, butter and buttermilk in a medium bowl. Add the egg mixture and chopped strawberry to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 mins to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, to make the strawberry buttercream, combine strawberry and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5 mins or until the sugar dissolves and strawberry breaks down. Cook for 2 mins or until mixture thickens slightly. Set aside to cool.
Use an electric mixer to beat the butter in a bowl until very pale. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat in the strawberry mixture.
Spread the strawberry buttercream over the top of the banana bread. Top with halved or quartered strawberries.