- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g Nuttelex spread, melted
- 200g dark compound chocolate, chopped (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut milk
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 50g Nuttelex spread
- 1Preheat oven to 180/160 fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pan.
- 2Place flour, sugar, coconut and Nuttelex in a bowl. Stir to combine. Press mixture into base of prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden. Set aside to cool.
- 3Meanwhile, make caramel filling: Place coconut milk and caster sugar in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until mixture comes to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, for 40 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon (the mixture should resemble thick custard at this stage). Remove from heat.
- 4Add brown sugar and Nuttelex to caramel mixture. Place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring constantly to prevent mixture sticking to bottom of pan, for at least 8 minutes or until mixture is thick and starts to come away from side of pan (mixture needs to be very thick at this stage in order for the slice to set (see notes). Working quickly, pour over base in pan. Smooth top. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- 5Place chocolate and oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%), stirring with a metal spoon halfway through, for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until smooth and combined.
- 6Pour chocolate mixture over filling. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Cut into 24 pieces. Serve