- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 120g butter
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 620g crumpet toast, crusts removed, or fresh crumpets
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Mixed berries, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease a 6cm-deep, 18cm (base), 6 cup-capacity oval ovenproof dish.
- 2Place brown sugar, cream and half the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
- 3Whisk milk and eggs into sugar mixture. Spread 1 side of each crumpet slice with remaining butter. Cut in half diagonally. Arrange, overlapping, in prepared dish. Pour over milk mixture. Set aside for 15 minutes to absorb.
- 4Place dish in a large baking dish. Pour boiling water into baking dish until halfway up side of smaller dish. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden and just set. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 5Place caster sugar in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until sugar is golden and melted. Quickly drizzle over pudding. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve with berries.