- Olive oil spray
- 2 x 125g punnets blueberries (see note)
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 50g (1/3 cup) self-raising flour
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 x 150g ctns Lemon Meringue Fruche
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Spray four 150ml-capacity non-stick muffin pans with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Combine half the blueberries and 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl. Divide evenly among the prepared pans.
- 2Sift the combined flour and cocoa powder into a medium bowl. Add the milk, egg, oil, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the remaining sugar, and stir until just combined.
- 3Spoon the flour mixture evenly over the blueberry mixture in the pans and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Use a serrated knife to trim the tops of the cake so they will sit flat. Turn onto a baking tray.
- 4Meanwhile, place the water and remaining sugar in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 1 minute. Add the remaining blueberries and cook, tossing, for 1 minute or until the syrup just starts to change colour. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- 5Divide the cakes among serving plates. Top with blueberries and spoon over a little of the syrup. Serve with the Lemon Meringue Fruche.